Frequently Asked Questions - Avalanche Education

Frequently Asked Questions - Avalanche Education

What is the difference between Avalanche Skills and Level I?

The Skills course consists of one lecture and one full field day. Beacon rescue, snowpits, and group travel are addressed. The Level I conveys the same topics in more detail, and participants get a chance to apply the skills learned under the supervision of a guide.

Which course is best for me?

If you have traveled in avalanche-prone terrain outside ski resorts, you are probably ready for the Level I. At least some touring or other backcountry snow travel experience is required.

Avalanche Skills is for anyone considering venturing outside controlled ski resort boundaries. It is appropriate for those who have never toured or traveled in snow before or are seeking a succinct review of the material.

Who takes Level II?

Serious recreational backcountry skiers and snowboarders, mountaineers, ice climbers and snowshoers will enjoy the UMA Recreational Level 2 class. Level I, personal experience and Avalanche Rescue are prerequisites.

Ski patrollers, mountain guides, heli-ski guides, and other aspiring professional winter outdoor leaders should take the Pro Avi 2.

Climbers on Wasatch Summit

Utah Backcountry Skiing

Photo by Tyson Bradley

Contact UMA if you have any questions:

Call (801) 550-3986 or email us at

Utah Mountain Adventures

P.O. Box 521809

Salt Lake City, Utah 84152-1809

Phone: (801) 550 3986

Fax: (801) 486 8505


Utah Mountain Adventures | Patagonia Utah Mountain Adventures | Forest Service Backcountry Skiing Utah, by Tyson Bradley